1. The Abu Simbel temples in Aswan.
2. St. Simon Coptic Orthodox Church, aka the “Cave Church” of Cairo.
3. The spectacular coral reefs of the Red Sea.
4. Traditional felucca sailboats on the Nile.
5. Mount Sinai at daybreak.
6. The Temple of Queen Hatshepsut.
7. Colourful fishing boats in Alexandria.
8. The beach along the Sinai coast.
9. The lights of Cairo over the Nile at dusk.
10. The stunning rock sculptures of the White Desert by day…
11. …and its stars by night.
12. Alexandria’s waterfront…
13. …and its beautiful library.
14. The delicious street food, koshary.
It’s rice, macaroni, lentils, chickpeas, crispy fried onions, and as much hot sauce as you can manage.
15. Friendly camels.
16. The dunes of the Great Sand Sea.
17. The Muhammad Ali mosque from the outside…
18. …and the inside.
19. Pistachio baklava.
20. The City of the Dead, Cairo.
21. Sitting and chatting in Fishawi’s Cafe, in Khan El-Khalili, for hours.
22. Sand storms.
(As long as you’re inside.)
23. Hearing someone play the oud, live.
Such as this musician, from the Alif Ensemble.
25. Al-Azhar University.
26. Fresh falafel.
These particular falafel are from Felfela, a restaurant in downtown Cairo.
27. Tahrir Square.
(Although it’s not always as packed as it was in January 2011.)
28. Spectacular sunsets…
29. …and even more spectacular traffic jams.
(As long as you’re not late for something.)